DOOR: WITH LAZINESS IN TOW

By Ángela López

I remember how books and I fell in love in that humble library; I, longing to feel that immortal beauty between my hands; they, waiting to be undressed by my dreamy eyes. That time when my candorous imagination was seduced by the irresistible letters, and so, from "A" to "Z", reading intoxicated me eternally with its sweet love. Yes!... How not to hypnotize me listening to the great Dostoyevsky philosophizing about society and its behavior? Or how to prevent Horace from tattooing his Carpe Diem on my heart? Not to mention Neruda, have I ever seen anyone else write the saddest verses that night? Although the one who always accompanied me in my stormy thoughts was sweet Jane Austen, who else but her could teach me to vanish pride and prejudice through love? Oh...how captivating the letters are, either to read them or to caress their forms! However, time forgot the old literary meeting table, and brought with it a device small enough to fit in my inseparable purse, and powerful enough to hold hundreds of books. Without a doubt, the Internet and the cell phone have allowed us to enjoy literature in a more practical way. However, the much-lauded progress has also meant a directly proportional setback to our abilities to discover and execute.

WWW.ANGELALOPEZ.CO

Today, we crave more gadgets that simplify our lives. But how simple is it all now?  Because from my point of view, I only see knots and knots in this rope called life. Longing for time to enjoy the pleasure of living, we have been encapsulated by a telephone that makes time not relative, but non-existent. In addition, we have developed a silent disease, but deadly to our imagination. A disease I call "laziness". Yes, laziness to think, to act and even to love.

We want to solve everything by giving orders to Siri, visiting Google or using any other application found in our mobile. Looking for a partner?... download the appropriate application. Want to look without a wrinkle and with a slender figure in your photos?... download the appropriate application. Just to mention some of the solutions that online stores offer us to save us effort, and also to project a distorted image of who we really are.  Someone might say to me: "So... what's wrong with that? Even you benefit from it, don't be a hypocrite." To that person I might reply:"I don't think there is anything wrong with technology and its advances, but it is one thing to use the tools, and quite another to allow the tools to manipulate our time, destroy our creativity, disguise the truth, and even turn our kindness into a fierce hatred of ourselves and humanity."

We have fought hard to eradicate slavery, in fact, we are still in that fight. But let me tell you dear reader that, as human beings and regardless of the amount of nonsense we have invented to excuse our revulsion towards our own kind, we are now also dealing with an enemy created by our own minds. And... No! It's not the planet of the apes, I would say rather, it's the planet of the human robots. We already behave like machines, feelings and creativity are starting to move away from intelligence. If you are looking for apocalyptic theories, I have one more: laziness created by human genius.

WWW.ANGELALOPEZ.CO

For me, idleness is nothing more than the sadness of the spirit, of the will. Sadness produced because our capacity for thought is no longer challenged, it is even tied to a luminous screen. The supposed ease that the world offers through technology has allowed us to quickly fall into a Stone Age where emoticons have replaced the beautiful words that had been invented to create charming love epistles. The misnamed simplicity that technological advancement has sold us comes with a small factory defect, namely, the complexity to recognize our own existence in the midst of encrypted codes inhibiting intellectual work. And although we have been trapped by a communications network, we care little or nothing about being devoured by it; as long as the cell phone does the thinking for us, everything will be fine.

@sanvecino

I don't want to imagine how many other gadgets will be invented to make us pleasantly work for laziness. However, I will leave this world with the firm illusion that people will be able to reconnect, not with WIFI, but with their intrinsic network of emotions.

WWW.ANGELALOPEZ.CO 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNDERSTANDING IN TIMES OF ANGER

Door: DEFOCUSING, FOCUSING

Door: THE SMILE CURVE